Under the WADA Code some athletes are classified as being allowed to apply for a retroactive TUE (rather than applying in-advance). These are usually athletes competing below National level
If your sport is not listed or you do not meet any of the criteria, you may be eligible for a planned retroactive TUE and should take the following steps:
- Have a medical file prepared with the information needed for a TUE in case an application is needed
- The information/evidence needed for TUE applications can be found on the WADA website. Show the relevant information to your doctor.
- If you are tested you should declare any medication you are taking on your doping control form.
- If you are informed that your sample has returned an adverse analytical finding (positive test), you should apply to ASDMAC for a retroactive TUE.
Other retroactive applications may also be granted if:
- Emergency treatment or treatment of an acute medical condition was necessary
- Due to other exceptional circumstances, there was insufficient time or opportunity for the athlete to submit, or for ASDMAC to consider, an application for the TUE prior to sample collection
- WADA and ASDMAC agree that fairness requires the granting of a retroactive TUE.